Skip to content

Deuteronomy Dunkel (All Grain)

October 7, 2010

Ingredients (for 10 gallons)
10.6 lbs White Wheat Malt
3.1 lbs 2 Row Pilsner (Ger)
4.6 lbs Munich Malt – 10L
6 oz Special B Malt
0.6 lb Crystal 40L
0.4 lb Chocolate Malt
2 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrüh pellet hops
Wyeast Activator 3068

Dunkelweizen is one of my favorite beer styles.  Last year I brewed an extract kit from Midwest supplies called “Deep Dark Wheat” that everyone raved about.  It was awesome.  I finally have all my all grain equipment ready so I wanted to try my had at all grain brewing and this year’s Dunkelweizen seemed like an excellent choice since I really wanted to brew two 5 gallon batches.  After searching online for a good dunkel recipe to base it off of I settled on one that looked pretty good.

Mash:
I used a mash thickness ratio of 1.28 qts water/lb grain.  I mashed at 152F for 60 minutes.  I attempted to perform a mash-out at 168F for 15 minutes, but my mash tun wouldn’t hold all the water needed to raise it up to 168.  I was able to add most of it and then just increased the sparge water volume to compensate.  because of this I changed the home brew program to better account for the space taken up by grain.  Now it will tell you at the beginning of the mash if your tun is too small.  I sparged at 170F.

Boil:
I think The water calculator was a little off because It looked like I had a whole lot more wort than 10 gallons.  I made sure I had a vigorous boil so that a lot boiled off.  The wort chiller came disconnected and some cold water went into the wort.  I also got burned :(.  It took a long time for the wort to cool to 75 degrees.  This is the first 10 gal batch I’ve ever done so I am not sure how to add the yeast. The bottling bucket only holds 5 gallons.  OG in boil kettle was 1.051.  Volume was at least 1.3 gallons too much.

Fermentation:
I used Wyeast 3068. Placed in two primary fermentors.   Very active fermentation.  Primaries were a little too full so I used a blow off set up.  A lot of beer blew off.  After 3 days I replaced blow off tubes with standard airlocks.  There was still active bubbling when it was transferred to the secondary (8 days in primary).  It continued to bubble for a day or so after it went into the secondary.  I harvested yeast from both primarys and placed it in a mason jar in the fridge.  Intent is to reuse for the hefe I brew later this year.

Carbonation:
I used 12.2 oz of wheat DME (Briess) for conditioning 4.4 gal of beer. Targeted 4.0 vol of CO2.  I Kegged the other 5 gal.

Tasting:
Very good.  People liked it.  Perhaps not as much as the Deep Dark Wheat Extract recipe from last year.  I am happy with my first attempt at all grain brewing.  I think it came out exactly as it should have.  The Wyeast 3068 is a very potent, flavorful, and aromatic yeast.  It certainly smacks of banana and adds a tart flavor that takes a little getting used to.  I think it might be easier to drink with the Wyeast 3056 that was used in the DDW extract recipe.  It could use some strengthening of the head.  Perhaps adding some cara-pils would help.  Not as creamy as the extract recipe was.  Right on target for strength and color.  I think it could use a little more caramel flavor.  Might consider using caramel 60L.

Details:
Vol of CO2: 4.0
SRM: 17
OG: 1.051
FG: 1.014
ABV: 4.9%
Brewery Eff: 70%

Advertisements
No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: